While I swiftly oscillate from being a hitler mommy to an oh-so-sweet momma, Mantam teeter-totter between playing mischievous-irking-brats to too-obedient-to-be-any-mom’s-dream children. In between all this, we team up as a trio to have great fun which eventually boosts our spirits! Quoting a few such instances:
1. We get dropped to office and school respectively in the mornings by Abbas in Bulu. In the evenings, I go to their school, pick them up and return home in an auto. Our house is located in an interior area. So we have a hard time in finding autos that are willing to shuttle us and are charging genuinely. Since we get bored letting go of autos one after the other and me getting fully hyper on Autos that charge thrice the actual fare, we have discovered a new way of keeping ourselves entertained during the wait. Whenever an autowala demands exorbitant fare, ManTam will say – “Is he is a bad uncle?” I reply with “Yes, a Baaad uncle”. The autowala will give a mean look at us and flee. We giggle to our heart’s content. The degree of Badness will be judged on the fare quoted and politeness in speech.
2. Most days we are all hungry and wish to have something to munch on in auto. So, I buy either some roasted groundnuts, popcorn, or kachori, steamed sweet corn once in a while and the three of us simply enjoy the auto ride. Even without food, we talk to each other about how our day went, what we ate and what they would like in their tiffin boxes for the next day.
3. We bake together. They love meddling with measuring cups and spoons. I measure the ingredients and they dunk them in the mixing bowls. They like to hold the blender when it moves and finally claim that Mannu-Tammu-Mamma made the cake.
4. I love dressing them up with in different avatars and clicking pics. That used to be one of weekend activities earlier, although it has reduced now. When I apply nail polish on my toe nails, I paint their toe nails also once in a blue moon and we enjoy it a lot. I love experimenting new crazy hairstyles on them. Now that they still are laymen in terms of fashion, I have two scapegoats handy in my endeavor to discover new styling ways.I always click pics after their so-called makeover and we have such a gala time during such photo sessions. I will upload some snaps in my next post. Recently, they came to me, armed with a comb and several hair clips and styled my hair. Mannu took her fake mobile phone, held it like a camera and said “Mamma, look at me. Say cheese”. I enjoyed someone touching my hair after ages!!!
5. When we are bored with books and toys, the three of us play a new game invented by us. It is a game of acting as we exchange roles. As in, say I play Mannu, Tammu plays Mamma(Me) and Mannu plays Tammu. We speak, act and behave like our assigned role. I play Tammu’s pranks and she scolds me just the way I do.It is so much fun and also at the end of it, we get a glimpse of how bad the ‘real we’ are. When I hear the words they utter when playing me, I get a chance to think over my actions, perhaps be more considerate towards them. Also they get to know how difficult it is to deal with their pranks and tantrums. On a lighter note, it is certainly entertaining too!
6. The recent fun thing we do together is wake Abbas up from his sleep. He is a lazy ass and declines to wake up even after calling out 101 times. We three gang up, and I whisper to them – “On the count of three, we will attack Baba, okay?” We three pounce over him and plant a kiss each on his left cheek, right cheek and forehead simultaneously. Nowadays, he seems to wait for these attacks to wake up!
What are the activities that you enjoy with your child??