I have a lot to write here and ample time on hands as we are both looking for jobs still. I have planned to come up with a series of posts to cover the whole hullabaloo. We took risks from the moment we took this decision and are at a point now where we don’t see where we are headed to. But belief in self, determination and optimism are the driving us hang on till we see the other end of the tunnel.
The day we received the grant, we were on cloud nine. That joy must be comparable to that of a mountain climber, inspite of hurdles in profusion, hanging in there when you see fellow climbers retreating or falling off the cliff, you hold on not letting the negative thoughts distract and finally being able to succeed on the journey you set out for. Oh boy, that feeling still gives me goosebumps.
After the initial euphoria of receiving the grant set in, we had to chalk out plans for the subsequent actions. To say that it was humongous task is to put it lightly. We decided that we would wrap up our abode in Bangalore and travel to Kolkata, spend some time with in-laws and fly from there to Sydney. Abbas did a lot of research on airfares, we had almost zeroed in on Cathay Pacific which cost us the lowest fare among the lot. But all of a sudden, we learnt about Air Asia and they were flying for almost half the price. It is a low cost carrier and mediocre compared to its counterparts but our objective was to save as much as possible. Air Asia it was!! Both Abbas and I had our last working day on 25th of April (which was a Friday). We thought we might wanna keep one working day handy just in case we had any official work pending. We booked Duronto tickets for 29th April. We were scheduled to reach Kolkata on 30th. The flight from there was on 10th May.
We had to decide on the plan of action for our household goods. We would sell most of the things. Kaalu (our TV) would be sent to BIL’s household. Water filter and our bed would be sent to Kolkata to Ma. My cousin who just started his career in Bangalore was looking for a fridge, he liked mine. But I told him I would be able to give it only in the last week of April and he was okay with that. One of Mantam’s caretakers from previous school wanted to take the washing machine and they were okay to take it in April. Rest of the things would be put up on sale. Whatever wouldn’t get sold would be parceled off to Kolkata. The most painful decision of all was to sell Bulu. There were days Mantam shed tears on knowing that they had to depart from Bulu. We inquired among close of circle of friends and relatives if any of them would be interested, so that we could still be assured that he is in known hands. One of Abbas’s colleagues was interested but he backed off later due to some crisis at his end. Bulu had to be let gone to a stranger’s care 😦 Abbas put up an ad on OLX without my knowledge and I remember being upset with him all day coz a party came immediately that day to see Bulu. It was just so hard to accept the reality!!! Another painful departure would be from the birds. (Reminds me that I hardly wrote about them, this qualifies for a post in itself)
Apart from all the material things, we had to prepare Mantam for this change mentally. We were worried that they might be in for a culture shock. Also for a fact that our lifestyle would completely change once there. We were living a comfortable life back in Bangalore with an abundant household, but once we would move, we would have to spend our Indian savings in dollars which would pinch us every moment. Slowly and steadily, we drilled it into their heads that Mamma Baba might not be able to buy them any toys, or take them out to restaurants or indulge in any costly affairs till they would secure a jon in Australia. We felt guilty about the whole affair at one point for making them go through this. We could have made their life easier had one of gone ahead and settled down with a job and a house and taken them later. But when we weighed both the options, staying together as a family led the priority list leaving behind material pleasures. We didn’t want to thrust our choice onto them forcibly. So we explained to them that we have both these options, what would they prefer? Staying away from either one of us or sacrificing on a few luxuries but staying together and they chose the latter, much to our pleasure.
To be continued…
PS: I will soon approve and reply all the comments. So sorry about that.