Day 13 | How a typical working day in our lives looks like

13 Jan

6:00 AM: The alarm rings. At times I wake up before the alarm, a few times immediately after putting it off and many times after it snoozes a couple of times. After doing the morning routine, I enter kitchen.

If I am late, Abbas keeps the milk to boil on the stove else that is the first thing I do in the kitchen. Then I start packing Abbas’s breakfast, lunch and fruit. He goes to take a bath and as he gets ready for the office

6:45 – 7 AM: He comes out of the bathroom and starts waking up Mantam. When I hear the wake up calls, I start preparing their breakfast. Most days, it is toast with nutella or cheese or avocado spread or tuna or jam or sunny side up along with bournvita for Mannu and plain milk for Tammu. On rare occasions I make idlis, dosas or paranthas. Simultaneously I prepare lunch for them, pack snacks and cut fruits/veggies.

7:15 AM: Abbas leaves home after sipping his tea and ensuring that Mantam are at the breakfast table. I work in the kitchen and keep reminding them to “Eat Fast, or we’ll get late” like a million times. I also pack my lunch, fruit and sometime nuts. I sit with them and finish my breakfast in 2 minutes and gulp my tea down as if it was a tequila shot as it would have already gone cold.

7:45: Mantam finish their breakfast. Yes, they take 30-45 minutes to complete it. And I keep nagging all the while. I start clearing up the kitchen platform as much as I can within 7:50 as I cannot afford to spend any more time in the kitchen after that. By now Mantam’s tummies are full and they are charged up. So, they wash their face and start wearing uniform on their own, I do help when one of their hands is not coming out of the pinafore sleeve or one them is not able to remove the shirt that they are wearing (Please note, three of us do not take a shower in the morning as we simply can’t find time amidst the mad rush) You get the drift right? I comb their hair and get them ready.

8:00 AM: Time for me to dress up. I quickly pull my office wear, wash my face and start changing. While doing this, I start giving instructions to Mantam depending on what day it is. If it is a their Show and Tell day, I remind them what is the topic of the day and they quickly think about what they can speak, Tuesdays – they do banking and need to carry their passbook and a coin to deposit in their account, Wednesday – they need to return the library book that they borrowed and also take their homework book to submit, Thursday – they need to wear sports gear and apart from that if there is any adhoc note or activity, anything related to that they have to carry. I also remind to put their tiffin box and water bottle that I have kept on the table, to wear their hats, to check if I have switched the stove off  etc etc etc.

8:10 AM: We leave home. Every day I run through a checklist (not a real one, but just orally) with the items that they must be having. And they reply in Check / Cross. Like on a few days, they forget to put their water bottles, I quickly message M to get a spare bottle for them. The fun part is that I intentionally forget a few items on the checklist and they themselves point it out and then say Check by themselves. During the walk, sometimes I tell them stories, a few times we would be late and we would walk as fast as we can (as they too know that their Mumma will miss the 8:30 train otherwise), other times we sing, talk and giggle.

8:25 AM: I make them sit in one particular spot where the bus comes and then say bye and remind them to finish their dabba and drink enough water.

8:30 AM: I catch the train to office. I quickly do some make-up after sitting in the train.

6:00 PM: I am back at the train station from work. I start walking towards M’s house and pick them from there.

6:15 – 6:30 PM: All of us reach home. Mantam and I take turns to take a shower. Abbas helps them with changing into house dress (He likes to do stuff for them even when they can do by themselves) Abbas and I have our tea together and we talk for a couple of minutes. Then he starts tidying the house a bit, loads the washing machine every alternate day and I start my kitchen chores.

8:30 – 9 PM: We have our dinner. Mantam go to sleep. Abbas puts the washed clothes out for drying, sometimes watches TV for a while and I do the table cleanup, putting things away in the fridge, washing the vessels and clearing the kitchen countertop.

10 – 11 PM: We hit the bed, sometimes browse through our phones, sometimes talk more, cuddle and then turn to opposite sides and snore away to glory. (I do cuddle him and trouble him every morning before waking up, forgot to mention it in the beginning of the post)

PS: I resumed work since yesterday after the holidays. My previous project had ended just before the holidays began and I am on bench right now. Looks like I will be sent to client site from Next Monday. I’m writing the blogposts from office, that’s why not able to do any picture posts. Saving them for the coming week when life is going to get busier even on the work front.


Posted by on January 13, 2015 in Uncategorized


Tags: , ,

12 responses to “Day 13 | How a typical working day in our lives looks like

  1. amitasingh10

    January 13, 2015 at 1:42 pm

    Hey… Busy lives you people lead… I am just curious what do you both have for breakfast? Do you pack the same as lunch. I cook breakfast for my husband in the morning. I end up packing the same as lunch. This has worked for a while but I would like to give him some change. Hence asking…
    Take care dear.. Loads of love to you lovely daughters…


    • Seema

      January 14, 2015 at 9:20 am

      Breakfast is mostly bread for us. When I don’t get those two minutes to have my breakfast, I carry a sachet of oats/muesli along to office. Offices generally stack milk and fruits for employees. So I eat my bowl of cereal with milk and fruits at work.

      I cook our dinner in such a way that I can pack the same thing for lunch the next day. But for Mantam, what I do is if there is plain rice, I stir fry rice with some veggies or eggs or paneer or mushroom and make fried rice and pack it. Or if it was roti for dinner previous night, I make wraps for them. On a few days when the dinner cooked is not sufficient or the food can’t be eaten at office, then I quickly make noodles or couscous or pasta in the morning.


  2. Anonymously Disguised

    January 13, 2015 at 1:44 pm

    “cuddle and then turn to opposite sides and snore away to glory.”………. hum logo ko buddhu samajhthe ho kya? 👿


    • Seema

      January 14, 2015 at 9:29 am

      Arey sachhi muchhi 🙂 Sone se pehle bhale jo bhi kar le, sote waqt we always turn to opposite sides *blushes*


  3. aarya

    January 13, 2015 at 2:42 pm

    Seema…I loved this simple account of your life…nothing special and yet so special 🙂


    • Seema

      January 14, 2015 at 9:29 am

      Awww, really? Thank you 🙂


  4. tandooripanipurilife

    January 13, 2015 at 4:37 pm

    whoa.. such a crazy busy routine Seema?? like cannot afford to loose a minutes here and ther ehh?? Reading your routine I was preparing myself to be ready for this in next couple of years.. Now toh PK & I eat our dinner by 8.15-8.30 and then we are free till 11.00/11.30 PM.. cannot imagine adding laundry washing and cleaning during the weekdays yaar..
    And you prepare breakfast and lunch and pack too in 15-20 minutes?? so fast you are.. good..good..


    • Seema

      January 14, 2015 at 10:04 am

      It is crazy at best! But I make dinner at night and pack the same for lunch re. Only for Mantam, I modify the rice or roti from previous night to give it a makeover. As it is difficult for them to eat with curry or dal and subzi. I generally stir fry the rice with some veggies, eggs or anything available on hand. Or make a wrap out of rotis. I can’t keep all the cooking for morning, or I won’t be able to sleep with so much stress 🙂

      We wash the clothes during the week because we don’t have a huge place to dry our clothes, if we do all that at a shot during the weekend. Once dried, they are all dumped in a laundry bag which I sort during the weekend. 🙂


  5. Bikramjit

    January 13, 2015 at 6:54 pm

    I start work today myself was off from work since before Christmas. .

    My days starts at 6am and finishes at around 11 pm when I get back home..


    • Seema

      January 14, 2015 at 10:05 am

      Oh my god! You work really long hours Bikram. How do you manage. Here we crib to work 8 hours in a day. Sigh!


  6. manasaprasad

    January 14, 2015 at 12:22 pm

    Wow! I kept hearing the song “jame raho” from ” taare zameen par” as I read this post! It’s nice to have a glimpse of your daily routine. And u plan n execute everything so beautifully! 🙂


    • Seema

      February 3, 2015 at 10:35 pm

      Yes, you visualized it with the right background track 🙂 That’s how our weekdays are!! Not all days are same dear, there are always good and bad days. But on an average this is how our day looks like.

      Liked by 1 person


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: