A few observations about work culture in Sydney that is different from what I have experienced back home:
- On your first day of the office, your manager or the person who you are entitled to meet will take you on a floor tour. They will show you everything from printer, stationery, kitchen, loo, shower and pretty much everything you would need to know,
- Hardly you will find people who work for more than 8 hours or extend unnecessarily. Neither your manager nor your peers will expect you to stay back after your stipulated work hours
- The manager would hesitate to ask you to come over the weekend as he/she respects that it is your personal time and if you do agree to take time out to work, it is fortunate for them
- Most offices will have ample fruits kept for the employees to snack on. My first one had a dedicated barista to make whatever drink the employees liked to have any number of times, a vending machine for soft drinks, nuts, lollies, timtams and cookies to munch on, bread and a variety of spreads!
- You will find people they having their lunch at desk while they work and using the lunch hour to go for walks, runs, jogs and workouts
- You too get inspired by these fitness freaks around that you will get habituated to stepping out for walks post lunch.
- Your travel time will be a big matter of concern for your manager /colleagues, they will try to place you at the closest location from your home so that it will be more convenient for you.
- You go out for team lunch / coffee together but you are expected to pay for yourself. You will never be asked for a treat by anyone.
My job profile has been such that I am posted to different client location based on the requirements. In the last 4 months that I have worked, I have been at 3 different client offices. Last week I was posted to a new client and looks like I am going to stick here for 6 months-1 year. Fortunately for me, the offices have been always close to scenic locations / parks. So I would enjoy my afternoon walks a lot. Here I am posting the pics I clicked during these walks:
PS: The only thing I badly miss here at office is that people don’t share their food. Back in India, lunch time used to be like picnic. Many colleagues would join together in the canteen and would open our dabbas. It used to be like a feast, with so many varieties to choose from. Here you just eat from your own dabba L