In November last year the land got registered in our name. Our home plan was submitted to the council for approval and the wait began. We knew that the construction would not begin the same year as everything either comes to a standstill or moves at a slug’s pace here during December. We were prepared for it and were hoping for a speedy progress from 3rd week of Jan. Two weeks have gone by and the plan is still under review with many feedbacks coming our way one after the other. It has been a frustrating experience coordinating between the builder and the council when both are saying contradictory statements and each being adamant about what they said is right. As we hope for their conflicts to be resolved and our file to be approved at the earliest, the new home has become our collective dream now and we find ourselves always discussing it!
I thought I must list some pros and cons of moving to the new home:
- It will be OUR own home! We have always lived in a rented house (except for the in-laws’ place in Kolkata) and this would be our first time ever living in a place which would be solely ours as a family.
- We can decorate it the way we want without asking for permissions from anybody else
- Mantam can finally jump, hop, skip, cartwheel, hula hoop to their heart’s content without us asking them to stop as they would disturb the people living the lower level
- We can have a dog finally and complete the family
- I will get to cook on gas stove instead of the electric one which I detest. It takes at least 15-20 minutes boil 2 cups of milk and cooking a meal makes me feel depressed due to the endless wait
- We will get more space for our stuff. Currently, we have only one wardrobe for all our clothes but it has only 6 tiny shelves. Summers are still manageable but come winter, it is a struggle to keep the warm clothes in such tiny space.
- We can finally invite friends and family to come over and visit us for a longer period as right now we hardly have space for ourselves
- We will have more than one toilet which would be a savior to combat the weekday morning mad rush. At present, we sometimes have to queue up in front of the toilet or reserve our turns when nature is in its prankster mood and calls us all at the same time!
- We will have an outdoor space which we really miss in the unit
- The biggest advantage is that the amount we are paying as rent would come to an end. We will still be paying the mortgage which would be more than the rent but at the end of the day, it would be for our own property and not towards paying off someone else’s mortgage.
- First and foremost would be maintenance. Although the lure of bigger house with more room sounds fantastic, it also brings with it more laborious chores to nurture the home
- Leaving our current suburb is also a major disadvantage as we loved this place to bits. It is one of the safest suburbs with a great quality of life.
- Mantam will miss their school and friends and are already feeling sad thinking about the day they have to depart from them
- Train journey to work would take longer than the current one by 15 minutes one way. Although 1 hour seems to be a norm in Sydney these days, I would miss the frequency of trains that I enjoy at the moment. You miss a train, next one is in a few minutes. But in the new suburb, the frequency of trains is every 30 minutes!
- More space in the new house would certainly mean more hoarding. No matter how much we try to curb the temptation to buy things that we don’t need, we eventually give in 😦
- In a unit, we have Strata who come and clean up the common area and do all kinds of maintenance which will be our own responsibility once we move
- the unit we live in now is close to Westfield mall, so we have access to supermarket and Kmart until midnight, which is a blessing! We don’t need this often but the assurance of having the amenity at an arm’s length make us feel secure.
So there! Pros outweigh the cons, don’t you think? On a side note, we were talking about naming our house and dog yesterday. My dearest readers (even the silent ones), could you please suggest names for both and help us in deciding? As I said in one of the posts, we are looking for dog names starting with R to make us a smart family 😀 I have thought of Rocky but Abbas doesn’t like it. Thanks in advance 🙂